Best Business Plan
Finalists will present their business plans to a panel of industry experts at the Summit on June 20, 2012 and the winners will be announced at the end of the day.
Mobile Device App Competition Criteria & Rules
We are delighted and excited to continue the new category of the Business Plan competition: Mobile Device Applications or "Apps" especially catering to the Boomer market.
We are accepting both the published and the non-published (that are still in the idea stage) Apps. For published Apps, the release date should be between June 20, 2011- June 20, 2012. Currently, we are able to accept only English language Apps. Your Apps should be compatible with either of these Operating Systems: Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPad, Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile.
May 12, 5:00 pm PDT - Apps due to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Published Apps: Submit a 250-word description and provide instructions to access your app. If access to your App is paid, it should be made free for judges on the day of competition.
- Non-Published Apps: Provide a 250 word description and a 10 slide PowerPoint presentation.
May 25 - All finalists receive notice via email
June 15 - Finalists present apps at Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit. Judges select and announce $1,000 winner.
Here are some suggestions for categories for your Apps:
- Brain Games (Casual Games)
- Educational/Life long learning
- Health and Wellness
- Social Networking
- Miscellaneous (Apps that do not fit in the 7 categories listed above)
Your App submissions are due online on May 1st at 5.00 PM PST. Selected App will be make to the final round to be held on June 15th at Santa Clara University. The winner will be announced on June 15th and will get $1000, and face-time with nationally known experts in the Boomer market. Email your entries to: email@example.com.
Requirements if your App is Published:
- List OS
- Give a 250-word description of the App, what that App does, listing of features etc.
- If your App is 'live', then provide a way to access your App. If you charge a fee to access your App, you should be able to provide it free to the judges for evaluation prior to the competition.
- Provide the release date of the App
Requirements if your App is Not Published
- List OS
- Give a 250-word description of what the App will do, listing of features etc.
- Provide a PowerPoint walk-through of the App:
- On the PowerPoint put a graphic of the opening screen of your App
- Include 4 different screen shots of your App in the PowerPoint slideshow
- The PowerPoint should have no more than 10 slides
- Provide the release date of the App.
The judges promise to honor the confidentiality of your work.
By entering contest and/or accepting prize, contestant grants permission to sponsors and their agencies to use winner's names and/or likeness for advertising and/or trade purposes without further compensation to contestant unless prohibited by law. Prize is nontransferable. By accepting prize, winner agrees to hold sponsors, their respective directors, officers, employees, advertising and promotion agencies and assigns, harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of use of prize. Winner assumes all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this promotion or use/redemption of any prize. Contestants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. Sponsors are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the search or in the announcement of the prizes.
Finalists in each category must be present on June 20, 2012.
Decisions of judges are final. Winner will be notified on June 20, 2012 at the 2012 Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and Business Plan Competition. Grand Prize will be shipped within one month of winner notification and address verification.
Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated or illegible entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.
Intellectual Property Protection
Organizers and sponsors of the 2012 Silicon Valley Boomer Business Plan Competition have taken reasonable measures to ensure that all contestants retain their rights to their business plans and any intellectual property. Organizers and sponsors shall make no claim to any of the property or rights.
Additionally, the finalists in each category will present their business plans to attendees of the 2012 Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and Business Plan Competition on June 20, 2012 at Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California. The content of presentations is at the discretion of each contestant.
By entering this contest all contestants indemnify organizers and sponsors of the 2012 Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and Business Plan Competition from any liability whatsoever arising out of this contest.
This contest is presented by: The Leavey School of Business at Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California, and Mary Furlong & Associates, 3527 Mt. Diablo Boulevard, #128, Lafayette, California.
We are excited to introduce the new $1,000 Mobile Device Applications "Apps" Competition. If you are a mobile device application developer, and you target the boomer market, then you may be eligible to enter the competition.
Find out more here.
Working & Wired – Online in Record Numbers
- 80% of AARP members age 50-60 are wired
- Since 2005, broadband use in the 65+ population has tripled
- Boomers are just as likely as 18-32 year olds to make travel reservations online
- Over 85% of boomers have cell phones, 46% have smartphones, more than 80% of all boomers are online, 52% use social networking sites, and 46% download apps
Sources: AARP, Pew Internet Project Data, Jan. 2009